Here to support you and your pets - business as usual at Animal Friends. To help us minimise any impact for our customers, we ask that you avoid where possible sending claims to us via post during this time unless absolutely necessary. Pawtal, our online claims system for vets, is still the fastest way to process a claim. Please speak to your vet to submit the claim at www.animalfriends.co.uk/pawtal.

Animal Friends Blog

19th
March
2020

5 dangerous foods for your dogs

As pet owners, we have to make sure our dogs receive a balanced diet that meets their nutritional needs. This doesn’t mean they can’t have a few bits of human food now and again as treats. If your dog loves to try and steal some bit off your plate when you’re not looking or lingers at your feet at dinner time just waiting for something tasty to fall to the floor, then you should familiarise yourself with the foods that are dangerous to canine companions.

Here are five toxic treats that you should keep out of your pet’s reach.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a variety of ingredients that are harmful to dogs. These include fat, sugar, caffeine and a bitter alkaloid called theobromine. This toxic ingredient can cause kidney failure in dogs, so keep your pooch away from any chocolate.

Onions and garlic

All members of the onion family, including garlic, leeks and chives are toxic to dogs. If your dog eats any of these dry, raw, or cooked, it can lead to gastrointestinal irritation, red blood cell damage and anaemia.

Alcohol

Dogs should never be given alcohol, or any other products containing alcohol. It can have the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain as it has on yours and lead to sickness, diarrhoea and central nervous damage.

Grapes and raisins

Grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas all contain a substance which is toxic to dogs, but the ingredient which causes the toxins is still unknown.

So, make sure the fruit bowl and currant boxes are kept out of reach of your canine friend.

Xylitol (artificial sweetener)

Xylitol is commonly used as a sugar substitute and is toxic to dogs. It can be found in a variety of household products including toothpaste, gum, vitamins and even peanut butter. Be sure to read the ingredients of anything you’ll be giving to your dog, and that anything containing xylitol is stored out of reach.

If you suspect your dog had eaten something toxic, then don’t hesitate to contact your vet.

Keep an eye out on our blog for more charity visits, product reviews and pet advice or head over to our Facebook page for updates on our latest campaigns and giveaways.

We have a range of pet insurance policies to suit your needs

Get a quote

Considering pet insurance but not ready to buy yet?

Fill in your details below and we’ll email you a reminder closer to the time

About

Hello, lovely readers, I'm Catrin George. I'm a treat dispenser and walk giver to Marvel, the border collie. I'm here to give you the latest updates and low downs on anything and everything pet related, whether they miaow, woof, or neigh. The blogs will be filled with news, reviews, and charity visits with some discounts and giveaways squeezed in-between. So, keep your eyes peeled here!

You may also like