Winter can turn our world into a wonderland and, with Christmas not so far away, decorations and festivities are everywhere we look. While the seasonal sights and sounds are a treat for us they can prove dangerous for the animals in our lives so here are a few key points to watch out for:
Ice and Frost
While a frozen pond and frosty lawn might be attractive on a Christmas card they are perilous for a pet. If you have a pond in your garden (and there are no fish in it) smash the ice to deter your pet from walking on it and potentially falling in and getting stuck.
Putting up decorations is one of the best things about Christmas but those of us with pets need to be a little more careful. Glass baubles can be knocked down by wagging tails or playful paws and edible decorations may end up being eaten, which is to be avoided, particularly if they are made of chocolate. Tinsel and fairy lights both pose a tangling hazard and candles are obviously a fire risk.
If your pet is sensitive to percussive sounds they might be upset by bangs from party poppers, champagne corks, fireworks and crackers, so it is best to be sensitive to this.
Festive plants like poinsettia, lilies, holly, yew and mistletoe can be poisonous if they are eaten so be sure to display them safely out of harm’s way. Holly leaves and pine needles can also stick in pets paws and be very painful and, if left untreated, could lead to an infection.
It’s tempting to indulge our pets over the festive season but there are hidden dangers in many seasonal treats. Many people don’t know that chocolate, raisins and macadamia nuts are harmful. While leftovers like turkey and gravy may not be poisonous they are quite rich and can be high in salts and saturated fats which will have long-term effects on your pet’s health and, in the short term, could cause a runny tummy.
Christmas is a wonderful time of the year for us humans and, with a little caution, it can be a safe time for your pets too.