If you are struggling financially due to COVID-19 then please call us on 0344 557 0300 or visit our FAQS.

Animal Friends Blog

18th
February
2020

5 dog choking hazards

Before getting a dog, you probably decided to pet-proof your home to keep your pooch as safe as possible. Well, our canine friends can find themselves choking on things they’ve been playing with since they were pups. Here are 5 items you probably have in your home or come across in your daily life that your dog could choke on.

Balls

That’s right, your dog’s favourite plaything can end up obstructing your pet’s airway and lead to serious trouble. Make sure you buy the right balls for your dog’s size, breed and chewing habits. Check your dog’s toys for signs of ripping, tearing or other damage and replace them as soon as you spot any problems.

Bones

A dog could choke on a bone, even if they’re used to having one as a treat. Cooked bones are especially dangerous as they could splinter into smaller, sharper pieces and get caught in their throat or cause internal damage.

Sticks

Most dogs stumble across a good stick when on their walks but think again before throwing one for them. Not only can wooden sticks splinter and become a choking hazard but they can cause injury to your dog if they catch it awkwardly. It’s not worth the risk, so you’re better off ignoring their requests to throw or let them chew the stick they’ve found.

Sticks can also cause nasty splinters and other injuries in dogs, so be sure to take an appropriate throwing toy on your walks if your dogs love a good game of fetch while out and about.

Kids toys


Kids toys come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and can be quite appealing to a dog looking for something to chew. Unfortunately, pets can choke on their human siblings’ playthings, so be sure to keep them out of reach and supervise your dog when your children are playing with something your dog might be tempted to chew.

Clothes

Used socks and dirty pants can attract any dog to have a sniff, and some are even enticed to start chewing and eating these used threads. These can all be swallowed and cause intestinal blockages and could make your dog choke. Make sure your used garments are kept away from your dog, and they go straight into the washing machine!

There are other choking hazards that your dog might come across in their lives, so it’s key to supervise your dog especially if they’re playing with their toys or are going through a teething phase.

Being aware of anything that could potentially put your dog at risk of choking will help you react in an emergency but if you want to know what to do if your dog started choking and potentially save their life, why not see if there’s a dog first aid course near you?

Keep an eye out on our blog for more charity visits, product reviews and pet advice or head over to our Facebook page for updates on our latest campaigns and giveaways.

We have a range of pet insurance policies to suit your needs

Get a quote

About

Hello, lovely readers, I'm Catrin George. I'm a treat dispenser and walk giver to Marvel, the border collie. I'm here to give you the latest updates and low downs on anything and everything pet related, whether they miaow, woof, or neigh. The blogs will be filled with news, reviews, and charity visits with some discounts and giveaways squeezed in-between. So, keep your eyes peeled here!

You may also like