We are ready to support you and your pets, that’s why it’s business as usual at Animal Friends. If you are struggling financially and would like to discuss your payments, please contact us. 

Animal Friends Blog

12th
March
2020

5 poisonous garden plants

Spring is a wonderful season and you might be planning or planting some flowers ready for summer or waiting for the flowering bulbs you planted in Autumn to bloom. Whatever your garden plans, it’s important to consider your chosen flower’s toxicity as well as their attraction.

What spring bulbs or flowers are toxic to pets?

Daffodils

A famous spring flower sometimes found on woodland walks and a favourite in gardens. This flower’s bulb is poisonous to our canine and feline friends so don’t be tempted to plant any in your garden or remove any daffodils that might already be there, especially if your dog loves to dig.

If your pet has eaten a bulb, flowers or managed to drink some water from a vase with daffodils in, either in autumn when they were planted or in spring once they are flowering, your cat or dog may show signs of poisoning.

These include:

  • Vomiting
  • Stomach upset
  • Increased heart rate
  • Abdominal pain

Tulips

Another spring favourite, adding a pop of colour to any garden or vase. All parts of this plant are poisonous, but the bulbs contain most of the toxins.

Symptoms of tulip ingestion include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Depression
  • Heart problems
  • Breathing difficulties

Hyacinths

These gorgeous flowers can live outside or potted indoors but the entire plant is poisonous to our pets. The bulb holds the highest concentration of the toxic calcium oxalate crystals.

Symptoms of hyacinth bulb and flower poisoning in pets:

  • Diarrhoea
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Tremors Seizures

Foxglove

Your cat or dog might not show much interest to these trumpet-like purple blossoms, but it’s important to stay wary as these can prove toxic to our pets.

Unfortunately, ingestion of any part of the plant can result in poisoning in our pets and symptoms will vary depending on how much your pet consumes.

These symptoms include:

  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Collapse
  • Diarrhoea
  • Drooling
  • Dilated pupils
  • Seizures

Lilies

Lilies often line the flower beds in gardens as well as fill vases on windowsills, but these favourite flowers, and their bulbs, are highly toxic to our pets.

The danger varies by the type of lily, as some are more toxic than others.

Symptoms of lily poisoning include:

  • Bad breath
  • Diarrhoea
  • Dehydration
  • Shock
  • Liver failure
  • Kidney failure

If you suspect your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have and are showing symptoms of poisoning, then do not hesitate to contact your vet immediately so that your cat or dog can receive the care they need.

Keep an eye out on our blog for more charity visits, product reviews and pet advice or head over to our Facebook page for updates on our latest campaigns and giveaways.

We have a range of pet insurance policies to suit your needs

Get a quote

Considering pet insurance but not ready to buy yet?

Fill in your details below and we’ll email you a reminder closer to the time

About

Hello, lovely readers, I'm Catrin George. I'm a treat dispenser and walk giver to Marvel, the border collie. I'm here to give you the latest updates and low downs on anything and everything pet related, whether they miaow, woof, or neigh. The blogs will be filled with news, reviews, and charity visits with some discounts and giveaways squeezed in-between. So, keep your eyes peeled here!

You may also like