If you are struggling financially due to COVID-19 then please call us on 0344 557 0300 or visit our FAQS.

Animal Friends Blog


Could you be feeding your pet poisonous food without realising it?

When it comes to taking care of our furry friends, it seems their diets are not as healthy as they could be.

According to our new survey, a massive two thirds of pet owners were wrong about what their beloved pets could eat safely.

When shown a list of common household items, respondents deemed chocolate, raisins and even alcohol acceptable for animals to consume – despite the fact they can causing vomiting. In the worst cases, certain products if digested, can cause seizures and even death.

Out of a comprehensive list, only 35% of items were correctly identified as being poisonous if consumed by pets.

Having said that, a third of pet owners wouldn’t recognise the signs of poisoning in their pets – even if they had consumed a toxic ingredient.

The effects of toxic poisoning could lead to death if left untreated or unnoticed, so we could be putting our pets at a serious health risk by not understanding the food they can (and cannot) consume!

But, it’s not just food items that could cause health problems for cats and dogs. In fact, household items, including slug pellets, antifreeze and aloe vera could all pose a risk, but went unrecognised as poisonous for pets by UK owners.

Just 9% of people recognised flea and tick collars as being potentially poisonous for cats. Those over the age of 65 were the age group most aware that these collars contain toxic ingredients that could cause serious problems if ingested.

When it comes to other household items, it’s women who are more clued-up about the injury that these products could cause.

Under half of men didn’t think alcohol was poisonous to their cat, compared with 61% of women.

Worryingly, only 57% of women realised that paracetamol or other medication could cause poisoning in dogs, compared to an alarming 47% of men.

Despite it being a common cause of poisoning, only 50% of respondents from Aberystwyth knew to keep chocolate away from their animals.

Scots were most aware about mushrooms posing a risk to dogs, however, less than half of Aberdonian residents spotting their potential danger and only third of pet owners in Edinburgh correctly cited mushrooms as being poisonous.

As you can see, many pet owners in the UK are putting their cuddly companions at risk by not being clued-up on what they’re eating, so it is best to read up on this, or consult your vet if you’re unsure. Remember that having pet insurance is the best way to protect your dog or cat against severe poison-related illnesses, without being a huge burden on your bank account.


Keep an eye out on our blog for more charity visits, product reviews and pet advice or head over to our Facebook page for updates on our latest campaigns and giveaways.

We have a range of pet insurance policies to suit your needs

Get a quote


Hello, fellow animal lovers! I’m Elena, and I take care of social media for Animal Friends Insurance. I’m here to share the latest on animal welfare, our charity work and pet care. I foster and adopt rabbits and have a rescue dog called Luna.

You may also like