Animal Friends Blog
Autumn is here, and trees that bloomed in summer are now a sea of yellow and reds with some branches already bare of any leaves. The scarves and coats come out of hiding, and the shops are selling all their Halloween necessities.
The change of season can bring a whole new set of dangers and a variety of problems for your dog.
Here are a few potential hazards to consider this autumn.
Watch out for antifreeze
Antifreeze is toxic to dogs, and even a small amount can damage their vital organs, leading to acute kidney failure and sometimes even death. Make sure that any antifreeze products are stored securely and out of your dog’s reach.
If you spot any spills or unusual puddle, make sure your dog doesn’t get a chance to investigate.
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning:
- Appearing uncoordinated
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive urination
If you suspect your dog has ingested some antifreeze, don’t hesitate to contact the vet immediately.
Keep on top of flea treatments
It’s that time of year again. While they’re always about, we create an ideal environment for these pests in autumn. As they lurk in the carpets and we pop the heating on, creating a comfortable setting for egg-laying and growing larvae.
So, make sure you keep on top of your dog’s flea treatment to avoid infestation.
Be seen in the dark
As it’s important to keep walking your dog in the darker months, even though it’s tempting to cut back, make sure you buy some reflective gear for you and your pooch. This will help you be seen by vehicles and other walkers.
Stay away from conkers and acorns
Both conkers and acorns are poisonous for dogs, so make sure to keep a close eye on your dog while you’re out and about to make sure they don’t end up chomping on these toxic autumn symbols. If you think your dog has managed to ingest a conker or acorn, contact your vet as soon as possible.
Dangers of fallen leaves
Autumn is characterised by piles of fallen leaves which can provide great amusement and potential for play – however, these leafy blankets can also pose dangers for our four-legged friends:
- concealing hidden dangers such as sticks or branches that can cut or wound dogs
- harbouring parasites, rodents or snakes
- wet or rotting leaves can cause slips and falls
- incubating bacteria and fungus which can lead to stomach upset if your dog ingests the leaf mould.
Dogs get cold too
Even though they’re covered head to toe in fur, dogs can still suffer from the weather changes. Older pooches and dogs with arthritis are likely to feel the cold more than most. If you feel like your dog would benefit from a coat or jacket, then why not head to your local pet shop to see what would meet your canine’s needs.
At night, give them extra blankets to sleep on and make sure their room is draught-free so they’re warm and comfortable as they snooze.
Not everything about autumn is dangerous, here’s a blog on some things to get up to with your pooch.
We have a range of pet insurance policies to suit your needsGet a quote
Considering pet insurance but not ready to buy yet?
Fill in your details below and we’ll email you a reminder closer to the time
You may also like