What breeds are excluded?
Unfortunately, there are some breeds that we do not provide cover for. This includes if they are an excluded breed crossed with a breed we do cover.
The following list includes, but is not limited to, the cat breeds that we do not insure:
- Asian Leopard Cat
- Keetso Cross
We do not cover any dog that is:
- Banned in Great Britain, as defined in the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 or any breed crossed with these dogs. From January 2024, this includes XL Bully. Please note that the American Bully, XL Bully and Pocket Bully breeds (including any breeds crossed with these dogs) are excluded from cover.
- Used for hunting, shooting, trade, or business
- Under four weeks old
We may need to cancel your policy if we receive veterinary evidence that your pet has been crossed or mixed with any of these breeds. This is true, even if you didn’t know your pet was crossed or mixed with a banned or excluded breed. We’ll ask you to provide us with a DNA test result for your pet. You are responsible for any costs for the DNA test. We won’t be able to review your claim, or any future claims, until we receive the results of the DNA test.
If your pet is an excluded breed
If your pet’s DNA test results show they have 50% or less of an excluded breed, we’ll continue covering your pet. If your pet’s DNA test results show they have more than 50% of an excluded breed, we’ll void your policy and give you back any premiums you’ve paid.
If your pet is a banned breed
If your pet is mixed with any dog type listed on the Dangerous Dogs Act, we’ll void your policy and give you back any premiums you’ve paid. We’ll do this no matter what percentage of banned breed your dog’s DNA test results show.
Please see your Policy Booklet for more information.
The following list includes, but is not limited to, the breeds that we do not insure.
- American Bandogge / Bandogge Mastiff
- American Bully
- American Foxhound
- American/Irish Staffordshire Bull Terriers
- Anatolian Karabash
- Anatolian Shepherd Dog
- Anglican Bulldogge
- Australian Dingo
- Biewer Terrier/ Biewer Terrier Cross
- Braque du Bourbonnais
- Brazilian Dogo
- Bucovina Shepherd Dog
- Bully Kutta
- Canary Dogs / Perro de Presa Canario / Presa Canarios
- Cane Corsos
- Caucasian Shepherd Dog / Caucasian
- Chinese Red Dog
- Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs / Sarlooswolfhounds / Wolf Hybrids
- Dogo Argentino / Argentine Dogo / Argentinian Mastiff
- Fila Brasileiro / Cao Fila / Saint Miguel Cattle Dog / Azores Cattle Dog / Brazilian Mastiff
- Fox hound / Foxhound
- French Gun Dog
- Greek Harehound
- Greek Shepherd / Greek sheepdog / Hellenikos Poimenikos
- Istrian Hound
- Japanese Tosa / Tosa Inus
- Korean Jindo
- Laizhou Hong
- Northern Inuit Dogs
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Racing Greyhounds
- Romanian Raven Shepherd Dog
- Sabueso Español
- Thai Ridgeback
- Turkish Kangal
Received a renewal pack?
Here's some FAQs you may be interested in: